Guidelines revised for the incentive for a Full-time Ph.D. Scholars belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Caste Converted Christians, and Scheduled Tribes students.
- Orders were issued to implement a scheme by providing an incentive of Rs.50,000/- to each 700 full-time Ph.D. scholars of Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribes and sanctioned an amount of Rs.3,50,00,000 for the year 2013-14.
- Framing rules /regulations for implementing the scheme of “Incentives to full-time Ph.D. scholars” belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes students from the year 2013-2014.
- Orders were issued by enhancing the parental annual income ceiling of the family from Rs.2.5 lakhs to Rs.8 lakhs, incentives from Rs.50,000/- to Rs.1,00,000/- and beneficiaries from 1200 to 1600 under the scheme of “Incentives to full-time Ph.D. scholars” for Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes & Scheduled Caste Converted Christians students from the year 2021-2022.
- After careful examination and decided to issue revised guidelines under the scheme of Incentives for Full-time Ph.D. Scholars belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, and Scheduled Caste Converted Christian students.
- The Commissioner of Adi Dravidar Welfare is directed to implement the
scheme of “Incentives to full-time Ph.D. scholars” as per the revised guidelines
contained in Annexure | from the year 2022-2023.
Revised Guidelines for Incentive to Full-time Ph.D. Scholars
The scheme of providing incentives to full-time Ph.D scholars for Scheduled
Caste, Scheduled Tribes, and Scheduled Caste Converted Christians were
introduced during the year 2013-14. The scheme aims to provide opportunities for
these students to undertake advanced studies and research in the fields of
Science, Humanities, Social Science, Commerce, and Law streams.
The objective of the scheme is to provide opportunities for Scheduled Caste,
Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Caste Converted Christian students to
undertake full-time Ph.D. research courses in the fields of Science, Humanities,
Social Science, Commerce, and Law streams in State Universities / Government /
Government Aided Colleges in Tamil Nadu.
- Target / Eligibility:
Target Group: The scheme provides incentives for 1600 eligible Scheduled
Caste, Scheduled Caste Converted Christians and Scheduled Tribes applicants
including renewal cases every year to undertake advanced studies and research
leading to Ph.D. Degree.
I. Income limit: Family income shall be less than Rs.8 lakhs per annum
ll. Caste: Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Caste
lll. Age: Age limit for male applicants is 50 years on the date of receipt of
applications and the age limit for female applicants is 55 years on the date of
receipt of applications.
IV. Educational Qualification:
a) A minimum of 55% of marks in the aggregate in the qualifying master degree examination.
b) The Scholar should not receive any other monetary benefits / Scholarship / Fellowship from any other source.
c) Employees of any university / College / Educational Institution, / Central/ State / UT Government shall be excluded from availing fellowship, even if they are on study leave or extraordinary leave.
- Nature of Assistance
a) Tenure will be 2-4 years for the students who completed M.Phil and 3-5 years
for the students who completed Master Degree depending upon the course in
b} Incentive of Rs.1,00,000/- would be provided to the beneficiaries in 10 monthly
installments. (Rs.10,000 / month) by Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
c) 5% grant shall be reserved for differently abled students.
- Procedure for applying for the Scheme:
a) Applications should be invited only through online mode in the prescribed format
through advertisement in leading newspapers / Adi Dravidar Welfare
Department Website / Circular to all the colleges, Universities through Higher
b) Applications should include Caste Certificate, Income Certificate, Degree
Certificate, Aadhaar ID, and Ph.D. Registration Certificate.
c) Confirmation Certificate for the continuation of the course should be certified by the
Universities/Institutions concerned with renewal cases.
d) Applicant should submit abstract of proposed research work for availing
e) University / Institutions concerned should verify the applications and scrutinize
by the Directorate of Adi Dravidar Welfare and the Directorate of Tribal Welfare.
- Selection Process
a) Candidates will be selected based on the eligibility criteria prescribed.
b) Preference will be given for social relevance, the budget of the proposed research
work, and science subjects. –
c) In case more applications are received than the available scholarships, the
Commissioner Adi Dravidar Welfare shall constitute a committee to shortlist the
- Evaluating and Monitoring
a) A grievance redressal mechanism shall be set at the Head of Department level
to address any grievance related to the scheme.
b) On completion of the award, he/ she will submit a comprehensive report and a
copy of his / her published work, if any
c) If the scholar is availing of any other fellowship/project from any other
organization at the time of selection, he/she shall be required to surrender one
award. After 2 years, a progress report of the research work should be submitted
by the applicant for further incentive.
d) In case the progress of the work is found unsatisfactory, the award may be
terminated at any time during the tenure of the award.